The puff stitch is a super easy and warm stitch in crochet. If you are wanting to learn more about the puff stitch check out this youtube link:
It is just a coincidence that I made it with almost the same colour grey! I also only pulled the loops through three times rather than the 9 that she seems to use. I think that is almost too much puff in most cases and gives the hat a softer more floppy final look.
It is quite an easy pattern:
- chain 6 and complete the loop
- row 2: chain 2 and then double crochet 3 times into each of the 6 loops
- row 3: chain 2 then puff stitch + Chain 1 for each of the 18 holes
- row 4: chain 2 then puff stitch through the the gap by created by the single chain between puff stitches. on every third gap, add two puffs in order to size up.
- row 5: chain 2 then puff stitch through each gap.
- row 6 & 8: see row 4
- row 7, 9-16: see row 5
- row 17-21: single crochet for brim